Friday, October 19, 2012

A Word with Laurie: ZEN (Meditation)

Photo by L. Kolp

Busy, busy, busy. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been busy! That’s probably why you haven’t seen me around too much lately and I do apologize (click here to read my exciting news).

How do you handle stressful times? The holidays are coming soon and for many this presents a lot of anxiety. How do you obtain peace in your life?

Courtesy of Wikipedia

It helps to find a quiet spot, close your eyes and meditate. When I meditate, I TRY to think about nothing. I concentrate on a pleasant image, which for me is the beach. Eventually I start to relax. It’s almost as if I’m riding the waves on a raft. I see a white light. Guiding thoughts pop into my mind. I am at peace.


Photo by L. Kolp

Some of you might prefer going on a nature walk to clear your mind. This is something I love, too.


Photo by L. Kolp


As I was perusing blogs, I came across Kim Nelson’s beautiful poem, Flowing Example where the word Zen is used. Zen is meditation. Let’s use that as our word this time.


ZEN
n.
A school of Mahayana Buddhism that asserts that enlightenment can be attained through meditation, self-contemplation, and intuition rather than through faith and devotion and that is practiced mainly in China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam. Also called Zen Buddhism.



Thanks, Kay, for sharing this with me! Click here for more.


~~~

So get meditating on what you will write about. You can use the pictures to inspire you if you'd like. Most importantly, be courteous to others and visit their blogs- leave comments- just as they visit yours.
 
 
 
 
 

20 comments:

Susan said...

Kim's poem is unforgettable! I may be able to write something about gratitude; I am grateful already for this prompt, Laurie, and Kim's poem. I am leaving town for a conference on Quakers in the Arts, though, where I may actually get up to read a poem or two. I'll catch up here on Sunday.

Daydreamertoo said...

Thanks Laurie. Great news about all of your news :)

Laurie Kolp said...

Thank you... and yes, gratitude goes hand in hand with meditation...

Unknown said...

What a great prompt for Friday, Laurie!
Thanks for the inspiration, also for the poem mention for us to read.
Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reference,Laurie; and congratulations on all the wonder that is occurring in your life. When we are open, the blessings flow.

I'm excited about your word-offering this time. Zen... I can contemplate and seek application for hours and hours. Now, let's see if I can write about it coherently!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Love this prompt, and where it took me - back home!!!! Happy about all your news, Laurie. Way to go!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Patricia, your site wont let me leave a comment. Your tree is very beautiful, as is your lovely poem. I especially love "autumn rhapsody".

Kay L. Davies said...

Laurie: so you did use the Zen/Meow photo. Isn't it great? It comes via Facebook from Samuel Greenberg at www.sun-gazing.com, where he posts things and invites people to share them. Wonderful, eh?
Congratulations again on your achievements. So happy for you.
K

Ella said...

Nice prompt Laurie!
I must say, I am having trouble commenting on some blogs. I have to have a wordpress password?! I was trying to make the rounds yesterday and ran into all kinds of issue...I can see I'm not the only one~ ???

Laurie Kolp said...

I'm not sure what's going on at wordpress, Ella... hopefully something they're working on.

Hannah said...

Thank you for the inspiration, Laurie!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful prompt. Mine is up. Mister Linky does not work for me. http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com

Sara McNulty said...

Regarding above comment, I am not Anonymous.

Joanne Young Elliott said...

Laurie,

I've been super busy, too. This is the perfect prompt! I may not have time to relax enough to write to it now, but after I'm finished helping with a fine & craft fair this weekend I want to get back to regular meditation...and writing more. Thanks for sharing this with me. :-)

Margaret said...

...I am actually off for the weekend DOING the very thing that helps me unwind. I will post here and link it as well to Monday's "Open Link Night". I will read everyone's efforts when I get back Sunday night. :)

Unknown said...

You have a bunch of blogs, huh? I don't know how you can keep up with four when I can barely keep up with one.
I love, love, love the pic with the Buddha and the black cat -- so funny!! :-D

Isadora Gruye said...

my slop is up. obligatory apologies.

Marian said...

surprised myself and wrote :)

Susan said...

Laurie, This prompt actually moved me to research a little--there is soooo much! Good, good, good.

Mary said...

Laurie, sorry I am late with my poem; but I completed and linked mine today! Nice prompt.