Thursday, March 17, 2016

Out of Standard - From the blender to the page

Greetings Garden Dwellers.  Welcome back to the Out of Standard, where I will set before you a challenge to defy the conventions of a particular theme.  I will call upon you to write out of the standard and find new places in the everyday. And I have something extra special in store for today’s challenge.

This image from wiki commons blends
elephants and the French Quarter.



WORLD-BLENDING

World-blending is the practice of combining elements from contrasting places, times, cultures, or beliefs into a piece of art or literature. World blending can result in the creation of an entirely new genre or movement (think steam punk!). And today, you’re going to get try it out for yourself. 

I am asking you to write a poem that incorporates elements from different worlds.  The blend you choose is up to you.  Your poem could be about a stone age jazz quartet, or maybe you want go more subtle and instead weave in imagery of Joan of Arc and jazzercise.....the possibilities are endless. I have provided a few pictures to inspire and intrigue your muses. 

KEEP IN MIND 

Like every challenge, your poem must by newly written for this challenge and not one which you have previously written which conveniently fits the theme.  


So go now, my muddy buddies, and bring us back something shiny and new...  


This street installation by Banksy blends the fairy tale of Cinderella with the tragic life of Princess Diana.




This photo blends Abraham Lincoln with the science of Ghost Bustin'.


Here is a blend of Van Gogh and an iconic London police call box.
Modern London air space filled with Zeppelins.


















15 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

A wonderful challenge, Izy. One which requires some thought and imagination.

Gillena Cox said...

Luv it. Putting on my thinking cap and I will be back

Much love...

Rommy said...

Ha! Dr. Who reference. I suppose pretty much any episode of Dr. Who can be considered an example of world blending, especially when he goes back to the past. I'll be back after a bit more thought.

De Jackson said...

LOVE this. Thank you!

Fireblossom said...

What a great idea. Thanks so much for filling in for me, Izy.

Hannah said...

A wonderful idea, Izy! Thank you. :)

brudberg said...

Had fun with this... will be back later tonight to read and comment...

Susie Clevenger said...

Such a great challenge! Mine is a rather subtle blending of old and new. Looking forward to reading what this prompt inspired!

Angie said...

I woke up thinking what if Mary Oliver took her dog to obedience school. Far-fetched, for her! A grim reality for me.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

This sounds like fun I'm working on mine now. Enjoy your weekend in the pond Toads! Hugs!

Margaret said...

...this is beyond my creative abilities at the moment - a brilliant idea don't get me wrong and I promise to read all of these so I can learn from them. If I am able to "rally the troops" I will write and post Tuesday! Thanks for your efforts toward this imaginative challenge.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

I had a hard time with this after all and hope my steampunk theme combined with universal synchronicity was enough. It's done.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

haven't got time to spend on this one, but it's a great prompt and I have at least taken time to read and enjoy what others wrote – you brilliant lot!

Anonymous said...

My head's all over this one, leaping from one idea to the next. I could write a chapbook.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Satya, I really loved your take on War of the Worlds. I found your comment options a bit intimidating, so left my thoughts here.